Katherine Shepherd represents homeowners and corporations in first party property insurance litigation.
Katherine, a Miami native, earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial and Labor Relations, with a Minor in Latin American Studies from Cornell University. She obtained her Juris Doctor with Certificates in both Civil Law and International & Comparative Law, from Loyola University New Orleans, College of Law. At Loyola, Katherine served as an articles and comments editor for the Public Interest Law Journal, participated in the Workplace Justice Project Clinic Program and received the distinguished Gillis Long Poverty Law Center Public Interest Service Award for her work on death penalty appeals and helping those affected by Hurricane Katrina with their property insurance claims.
Prior to joining Korin Law, P.A., Katherine worked with Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Corporation, litigating on behalf of domestic violence victims and children in dependency proceedings. During her time with SLLS, Katherine handled all aspects of domestic litigation, from protective orders to divorce and custody cases – successfully securing judgments in favor of her clients in over 250 bench trials. After being nominated by her peers, Katherine was certified as a Child Welfare Law Specialist by the National Association of Counsel for Children in 2017. Before returning to Florida, Katherine practiced with boutique law firms in Louisiana handling securities class action, shareholder derivative suits, Federal Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Compensation, Defense Base Act cases, immigration and personal injury matters.
Prior to her career in law, Katherine served in the Peace Corps as a Rural Enterprise Development Volunteer in Caraguatay, Paraguay.
- Awarded Distinguished Cornell Tradition Scholastic Achievement & Service Fellowship
- Awarded Robert H. Bluestein Academic Scholarship
- Awarded Cornell Committee on Special Educational Projects Leadership Award
- Awarded Distinguished Gillis Long Poverty Law Center Public Service Award
- Awarded Anzelmo-Stuart Scholastic Achievement Scholarship
- Awarded Public Law Center Fellowship
- Awarded Loyola’s Stuart-Smith Land Use Law Fellowship
- Florida, 2016
- Louisiana, 2009
Associations & Memberships:
- Miami-Dade Bar Association
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers
- Miami-Dade Trial Lawyers’ Association
- Colombian American Bar Association
- Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity
- Cornell Alumni Admissions Ambassador Network
- Cornell Latino Alumni Association
- Loyola University New Orleans – Journal of Public Interest Law:
- Parker v. District of Columbia: Shifting the Scales of the Second Amendment Debate, 9 Loy. J. Pub. Int. L. 63 (Fall 2007)