Summer’s here and the time is right for Miami homeowners to get their roofs ready for the rainy season. One of the perks of living in South Florida is the warm year-round weather. But that same tropical climate can wreak havoc with your home’s building materials–particularly during the summer. Daily afternoon downpours along with heavy humidity can cause rapid deterioration of shingles and tiles. Without a yearly roof inspection, it is only a matter of time before your home experiences roof leaks.
The Consequences of Roof Leaks
Most homeowners in South Florida rarely address their roof until there is a problem. A poorly neglected roof with significant water damage can result in hundreds to even thousands of dollars in repairs. In some cases, the damage can be so bad, the home may need the roof completely replaced. Most of incidents could have been prevented with one simple annual roofing inspection.
Roof leaks are one of the most common causes of water damage in South Florida homes. In addition to causing significant damage to your home’s building material, it can also result in the formation of dangerous mold–one of the leading contributor to respiratory and breathing problems.
How to Choose a Roofer in Miami
Roofing contractors are literally everywhere in South Florida. But not all roofing professionals are equal. When choosing a roofing company to conduct an inspection, there are several factors to take into consideration.
- Experience matters! Although there are plenty of fairly new roofing contractors that do a good job, it is best to choose a reputable company with a long track record of customer satisfaction. Longevity often separates the good roofers from the average.
- Check for licenses and certifications: Plenty of Miami roofing contractors claim to be licensed and certified. However, it is always important to see proof before hiring a roofer. Some roofing companies will display their certifications on their website. Unfortunately, many homeowner never ask about certifications and end up becoming the victims of shoddy work.
- Is the roofing contractor insured?: Roof repairs and inspections can be hazardous work. Even experienced professionals can make mistakes. It is vital to choose a roofer with worker’s compensation and liability insurance. When contacting the roofing contractor, ask about their insurance certifications.
- Make sure the job is completed in writing: When hiring a roofer, it is important to remember they will work for you. Always stay in charge. Make sure the roofer properly documents their work.
- Avoid storm chasers: Unfortunately, many scam artists try to take advantage of homeowners by offering cheap rates by going door-to-door. It is best to choose a contractor based on a referral or recommendation.
Has Your Roof Leak Claim Been Underpaid or Denied? A Miami Insurance Claims Lawyer Can Help
Did you know some insurance companies refuse to pay for construction to remove mold damage? Many others purposely underpay their policyholders. Attorney Jonathan Korin understands many of the frustrations Miami homeowners face dealing with insurance companies. He and the legal team at Korin Law, P.A. have successfully helped clients recover the compensation they deserve. To learn more, contact his Miami law office today and schedule a consultation to discuss your case.